Tuesday, January 11, 2011

One Pot Wonder: Chicken Cacciatore

While not a crockpot recipe (although I'm sure it could be...I just think the flavors come out better in the dutch oven), this one is a family favorite!  I buy the value packs of chicken legs or thighs (or both!) when they're on sale, break them down into smaller packages of four or five and freeze them for just such an occasion!  Even my 7-year old will eat this...plus it makes great leftovers!

The Stuff:

4-5 chicken legs or thighs (bone-in, skin-on)
1 cup flour
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 t each salt and pepper
2 T olive oil
1 large onion, cut into large dice
14 oz. mushrooms, sliced
1 heaping T minced garlic
1 can Hunts Spaghetti Sauce (Yeah, you heard me.  Canned spaghetti sauce.  Trust me.)
2 (28 oz) cans crushed tomatoes
1 c red wine (cabernet or pinot noir)
1 T oregano (I usually eyeball these things into the palm of my hand)
1 T basil
2 t garlic powder
salt and cracked black pepper

What I do with The Stuff:

Preheat oven to 375.  In small flat dish, combine flour, parmesan and salt and pepper.  Rinse chicken and pat dry.  Dredge chicken in flour until lightly coated.  Shake excess flour off of chicken.  Discard any remaining flour mixture.

In a large dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat.  Place chicken in oil, skin side down.  Brown and turn until both sides are golden.  Cook in batches so as not to overcrowd the pot.  Remove chicken and set aside.

Add onions, mushrooms and minced garlic to the pot (in that order...you don't want the garlic to burn).  Cook until onions are translucent and mushrooms are golden, about 3 minutes (by the time I hit this point, the stovetop fan is going and it looks like I'm about to burn the house down.  Keep going!  Trust me!).  Add spaghetti sauce, crushed tomatoes, red wine, oregano, basil and garlic powder.  When heated through, season to taste with salt and pepper.  Add chicken back in, skin side up (lay it lightly on top...you don't want it completely submerged).  Cover and transfer to oven.  Bake for 60-75 minutes.  The chicken should pull away from the bone when it's done.  Yummy!

Remove from oven and stir sauce.  It should be a deep red color once combined.  Serve over spaghetti.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment