Okay, so....no crockpot recipe this week but man-oh-man is this one a killer! There are many, many, many, many variations of King Ranch Chicken. My friend Julianne introduced me to her version eleven years ago when we lived in Houston. Let me just say....WHOA...my tastebuds are still seeking and destroying after this one! Let's just say it's hot. Absolutely the best I've had but SO SO HOT!
This one is much milder and I'm guessing is closer to a cheater version. Which means it's super-easy and FAST. I use the store-bought rotisserie chicken when it's on sale. You could easily substitute any chicken you have in the freezer but then you're adding a step: Defrost and cook chicken. Bleh...we don't like extra steps.
King Ranch Chicken
1 whole rotisserie chicken, cooked
1/2 medium onion, diced
2 T butter
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can Rotel (or 1 can diced tomatoes and 1 small can diced green chilis if you don't have access to Rotel)
1 T or 1 cube chicken boullion dissolved in 1/2 c HOT water
1/4 cup milk (whole milk is best, heavy cream is decadent! I only had skim and it was A-OK!)
6 burrito size flour tortillas (or any old size, I just know that 6 burrito size is enough)
2 c shredded jack cheese
Preheat oven to 350. Butter a 9 x 13 baking dish.
Remove chicken from bones. Chop into bite-size pieces. Set aside. In large skillet, melt butter. Add onions and cook until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add soup, rotel (don't drain!) and stir to combine. Add boullion water and milk. Bring to boil and reduce heat. Add chicken and combine. Let simmer 5 minutes.
Cut or tear tortillas into bite size pieces. Layer 1/3 of the tortillas in baking dish. Spoon half the chicken mixture over tortillas. Sprinkle 1/3 of cheese on top. Repeat another layer. Add remainder of tortillas and cheese to top of casserole.
Bake uncovered for 20-30 minutes until bubbly and browned. Serve with sour cream and a salad on the side! And maybe a margarita...yum!
Enjoy!
I added some garlic to the onion and butter and had some shrimp that I threw in on top of the first layer of chicken, and oh my god it was freaking delicious!!!my husband hates casseroles and he ate 3 bowls..enuf said! Thank you will definately add it to my recipe collection of mighty deliciousness!
ReplyDelete