Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Reinventing the Peanut Butter Sandwich




I LOVE peanut butter sandwiches.  They're one of those foods I will phase in and out of my life on a regular basis.  I usually rediscover them when my pantry is a bit bare and almost always put jelly on them.  I prefer grape jam, actually.  Jam spreads more evenly across the peanut butter.  I used to be a smooth PB gal but have recently made peace with the chunky stuff.  Jif and Skippy are good...Peter Pan is too sweet for me.  Not real keen on the natural stuff...it's that stirring-of-the-oil thing.

Bread is important in the construction of the PB sandwich.  I like them kid-style on Wonder Bread, what I refer to in my house as "cake bread" because it's pretty much the dietary equivalent of a piece of yellow cake sans frosting.  But I'm not a kid so that's a treat for me.  Usually I have it on 100% whole wheat.  Orowheat is our favorite...it's a nice, dense wheat bread and doesn't have all that unhealthy garbage thrown in.  It's also $4.68 a loaf at Kroger which sucks but I still buy it.  This is one area I've learned not to skimp.  Ketchup falls into this category.  But I digress.

Right now, the PB sandwich is definitely phased IN.  I'm enjoying them so much that I'm trying to find new ways to enjoy them so as to avoid the phase OUT.  In the past week, I've tried the following:

PB and grape jelly
PB and butter and grape jelly
PB and butter

In the past I've also tried these concoctions:

PB and banana:  To be honest, I'm just not a fan of banana and PB together.  Sorry nanner.
PB and Mayo:  My dad used to make us this.  It's interesting but not awful...really.
PB and sprinkles:  Want your kid to love you?  Try this.  Sydney loves it!
PB and chocolate chips:  See PB and sprinkles.  Put it on wheat or crackers and call it dessert.
PB and apple:  This is a great combo.  Macintosh apples work well...nicely tart!
PB and pretzels:  A nice, salty addition.
PB and Ruffles:  Okay...now I'm getting out of hand but again...a nice salty sensation.

Anyway....my newest obsession:  PB and sliced almonds!

I don't know what possessed me to try it but I had sliced almonds out for my oatmeal one morning and thought...hmmm...this might be good on a peanut butter sandwich.  I PB'd up a piece of wheat for my lunch today (just one slice) and put 1 heaping T of almonds on it, folded it in half and packed it up.  Had it with a salad, if you're wondering.  IT WAS AWESOME!  The almonds added just the perfect amount of crunch!  And...almonds are way good for you.  They're loaded with calcium, vitamin E, the good fats and are a great protein source.  Couple that with some PB and some whole wheat?  Psshaw!  You've got a great healthy snack that rocks.

I made one for lunch tomorrow.  Hope it makes it that long.
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment