Monday, January 10, 2011

Project: Jewel Case Photo Display Frame

I found a box of old CDs rather, old CD cases...I think the actual CDs are hiding out with my missing socks.  Anyhoo...while playing around with a couple of them, I came up with this fun project:  Creating a Jewel Case Photo Display Frame like this:



The Stuff:

2 CD Jewel Cases
3 sheets patterned paper (different designs)
3 sheets coordinating cardstock
Paint (coordinated to your color scheme...I chose white because it's what I had in my stash)
Foam paintbrush
Ribbon to match
6 photos
Stickers, Rub-ons or any other fun embellishment
Adhesive and strong glue (I used Crafter's Pick The Ultimate)
sandpaper


What I did with the Stuff:

1.  Empty the guts out of two CD jewel cases:


2.  Paint the cases inside and out and along the spine and edges.  




3.  After paint has dried, roughly sand the two outsides of the CD cases (close the CD case - sand the area where your CD insert would show through if you had one inserted.  You will see an open slot running lengthwise down the spine on this side).  Open cases and lay flat with sanded side up.  Apply strong glue to one sanded side and adhere the second case, sanded side down, so that the case will appear to be 3 across.  Allow glue to dry completely (you may need to weight it down on top...I put one of my Mega punches on top).

4.  Trim paper as follows:
  • 3 sheets patterned paper:  Trim to 2 mattes each (6 total)  4 5/8 x 4 5/8
  • 3 sheets cardstock:  Trim to 2 mattes each (6 total) 4 1/4 x 4 1/4
  • 6 photos:  Trim to squares (4 x 4)
5.  Lay out patterned paper then cardstock then photos and plan where you want to place them in the frame.  Adhere mattes and photos to patterned paper.


6.  Adhere patterned paper with photo mattes to CD case panels according to your layout.  Embellish with Ribbon, Rub-ons, Flowers, etc. 

Here is my finished project closed...


...and here it is opened up (both sides):




Have fun!
AW

1 comment: